Benefits to Students
- Provides students with the opportunity to apply what they are learning in class to “real life” situations.
- Allows students to explore possible career paths, and develop relevant career-related skills.
- Provides experience for inclusion on a resume, or on an application to a four-year college or university.
- Deepens an understanding of course materials.
- Prepares students to participate in internships.
- Develops meaningful student contact and interaction with the community.
- Promotes civic responsibility through service, and making a difference in the community.
- Exposes students to community resources, services, and expertise.
- Raises awareness of community and social issues, particularly as they relate to areas of study.
- Provides experience in group work and interpersonal communication.
- Promotes connections and interaction with people from diverse backgrounds and lifestyles.
- Instills a sense of empowerment that can enhance self-confidence and self-esteem .
Benefits to the Community
- Facilitates partnerships that foster positive college-community relations.
- Provides access to college educational resources and expertise.
- Helps identify and address community needs in effective and creative ways.
- Contributes to a culture of citizenship, and contributes to future generations of engaged citizens.
- Encourages multi-generational and cross-cultural interactions.
- Raises college and community awareness about community resources and services.
- Provides support for, and contributes to the growth of, community service efforts.
Benefits to Faculty
- Provides new ways to teach course material that can result in an enriched teaching experience.
- Offers rewarding professional development challenges.
- Engages faculty in meaningful interactions with the community at large, helping build faculty-community collaborative work.
- Encourages faculty to form close, interactive, mentoring relationships with students.
- Extends the classroom into the community, linking faculty and teaching with positive community outcomes.
- Connects faculty across academic disciplines through a shared approach to teaching.
Benefits to the College
- Furthers the goals of the college’s mission and strategic planning initiatives.
- Fosters positive college-community relations and creates opportunities for collaboration.
- Identifies the colleges as an active, engaged community partner.
- Contributes to innovations in pedagogy and program development.
- Increases student engagement and retention.
- Contributes to an enrichment of education quality and relevancy.
- Enriches the quality and relevancy of the education provided.