Check the News & Events section for our Extended Office Hours

Admissions New

Admissions Process Overview

Whether you are graduating from high school, transferring from another college or returning to college, the road to your degree begins with the admissions process. All the information you need to apply to Sussex County Community College can be found on this page.


Transfer-oriented programs lead to either an Associate in Arts (A.A.) or an Associate in Science (A.S.) degree. Career-oriented programs result in either an Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree or a certificate. Transfer-oriented programs lead to either an Associate in Arts (A.A.) or an Associate in Science (A.S.) degree. However, many of our students who complete A.A.S. degree programs successfully transfer to four-year colleges. It is also true that students who complete an A.A. or A.S. (transfer-oriented) degree program will find their preparation at SCCC beneficial in helping them find employment, if they choose to work while subsequently completing their bachelor’s degree.

Liberal Arts– What is it and what can it do for me?

In addition to our other transfer programs, SCCC offers A.A. and A.S. degree programs in Liberal Arts and Sciences. These transfer-oriented programs provide an appropriate first two years of study for students wishing to pursue the baccalaureate degree in a variety of areas.

When can you register for classes?

What type of student are you for registration? See below…


If you attended any term on or after winter 2013, you may register for winter 2014 beginning November 14, 2013 at 8:00 am.

RETURNING DEGREE-SEEKING (Matriculated) or NON-DEGREE SEEKING (Non-Matriculated) Students

  • If you attended any term before fall 2012 and have not attended another college, you may go directly to the Office of Admissions to be re-admitted before the semester begins.
  • Upon readmission, you will be able to register. However, if you have attended another college and will be seeking a degree, you must re-apply through the Office of Admissions and complete the re-admit application process (including other college official transcripts)
  • Once admitted, you will be able to register.

NEW or TRANSFER Students (Degree and Non-Degree Seeking) –

  • You must complete the application for admission Apply on line.
  • You will receive emails if you are required to take a placement test.
  • Once admitted you will receive an email to set up an advisement/registration appointment. All new registrations must be completed before the semester begins.


  • Is a student who is attending another college or university, either a two year or four year, who wants to take Winterim or summer courses.
  • When filling out the application in Academic Status please click Visiting Student.
  • In the comment back please indicate the school you are currently attending. You will be able to register on-line Click here to find out details


  • Is a student who is attending another college or university either a two year or four year who wants to take a Winterim or summer courses.
  • Who has already taken classes at SCCC.

INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS Enjoy an American educational experience within a family-like atmosphere of faculty, staff and many other international students and have the opportunity to transfer to a four-year institution for an advanced degree.

Placement Testing (Accuplacer Test)

Degree- or certificate-seeking applicants and applicants without a high school diploma may need to take a reading-English-mathematics Placement Test prior to registering for courses.

If you have taken the SAT or ACT, you should submit your scores to the Office of Admissions for any possible waivers from the testing requirements.

  • A score of 540 or higher on the reading portion of the SAT or a score of 23 or higher on the ACT will waive the reading and writing portion of the placement test.
  • A score of 530 or higher on the SAT Math or a score of 23 or higher on the ACT will waive the student from the Algebra test.

Transfer students who have completed both a course equivalent to SCCC’s English Composition I [ENGL 101] and a math course equivalent to SCCC’s MATH 104 or 106, or higher, with grades of “C” or better, will be exempt from placement testing. If you have completed either an associate’s degree or a bachelor’s degree you will also be exempt from all placement testing. Visit the Placement Testing website for additional information.

Applicants who demonstrate deficiencies in any of the three areas of reading, English, or mathematics will be required to register for necessary development course work in their first semester. Applicants whose first language is not English will be tested by the English as a Second Language (ESL) Program and may be required to take ESL courses prior to their regular academic courses.

Immunization requirement

State Law dictates that students who are full time (12 credits or more) provide immunization documents and a meningitis survey to the Student Health Services. Students are encouraged to provide them upon application for admission to avoid registration restrictions.

Learning Center for Students with Disabilities

A variety of services are available to those students who have a physical, psychological, visual, hearing or learning disability. For more information, visit the Learning Center or visit their office in Building C.

Continuing Education–Lifelong Learning

A separate application form is required for Community Education applicants. Information about available programs and courses may be found on the Community Education web page.

How to Apply for Financial Aid

Applicants for financial aid should complete the financial aid applications for an academic year on or after January 1. Since there are limited funds available in certain financial aid programs, students who require financial aid to finance their studies should apply early for both admission to the College and for financial aid programs.