Skylands Professional Training, a partnership with Sussex and Warren County Community College, will be offerings a Youth Enrichment Programs this summer. These programs provide an educational and stimulating alternative to traditional camp, combining learning with creative hands-on experiences. Lunch supervision is available for children staying for both a morning and afternoon session. All programs run Monday through Thursday and are held on the SCCC campus.
A variety of programs are being offered for ages 7-14, including:
- STEM Inventions with Little Bits (Ages 7-12) – STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. In this invention workshop, students enhance their skills with a great new system of discovery called Little-Bits. Little-Bits is a platform of easy-to-use electronic building blocks that empower users to invent anything, from a remote controlled car, to a smart home device. Students begin with several inventions and then will design and create their own. This program runs August 7-10 from 9 a.m. – 12 pm and costs $109.
- App Attack! Make Your First Game App (Ages 8-12) – Kids can customize their own game app using a specialized app and game development tool. See first-hand how the world of app publishing functions. Student-created apps will be accessible on a private site and can be played on any mobile device or computer. This program runs August 7-10 from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. and costs $139.
- Introduction to LEGO and Vex IQ Robotics (Ages 9-14) – Have fun building, designing, and programming robots with Lego Mindstorms & VEX IQ robotic systems. Build robot projects and creations that use working sensors and motors. This program runs August 7-10 from 12:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. and costs $109.
- Super Science STEM Challenges (Ages 7-12) – In this engineering camp, students will have fun integrating Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics by building and designing a wide range of gadgets, inventive machines, towers, crazy contraptions, and more. A host of other fun contests designed to bring out the engineer in you! This program runs August 14-17 from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. and costs $109.
- Minecraft© Designers (Ages 8-12) – Kids who love the game Minecraft, and always wanted to design their own world will love this class! Learn how to create a custom map, the basics of creating 3D models using a new software to design your very own objects, how to build with Redstone and Command blocks, and create custom textures to import at home or share with friends. This program runs August 14-17 from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. and costs $139.
- Battle-Bot Build-A-Thon (Ages 7-12) – Campers will have fun building and creating using just their imagination. Campers will construct a complex Battle-Bot robot from a huge Robotix modular collection. Campers will learn engineering principles in a fun, hands-on atmosphere. All campers will take home a Hexbug Warrior. This program runs August 14-17 from 12:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. and costs $109.
- Minecraft© Modders (Ages 8-12) – Kids can use their favorite game to learn the basics of modding and the foundations of programming. Learn scripting and logic statements to create a mod! Introductory coding will also be taught through a simulated environment inspired by Minecraft. This program runs August 14-17 from 12:30 pm – 3:30 p.m. and costs $139.
- Make Your First Video Game! (Ages 8-12) – Learn how to create a video game in this one-of-a-kind class that shows kids the keys to designing their first 2D platformer game. Conceptualization, play experience, level design, graphics, sounds, and simple coding are just some of the concepts that will be explored. This program runs August 21-24 from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. and costs $139.
- LEGO Star Wars & Motorized Machines (Ages 7-12) – LEGO enthusiasts, have fun building their favorite adventure from a Star Wars galaxy. Campers will also build a wide assortment of non-Star Wars motorized LEGO Education machines and create their own projects that illustrate science concepts. This program runs August 21-24 from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. and costs $109.
- Architecture and Engineering Challenges (Ages 7-12) – Campers will work to design and build towers, balsa bridges and a wide array of Lego and K’nex™ architecture projects. Have fun building famous architectural designs from around the world along with building bridges, towers, and other structures using a variety of materials. This program runs August 21-24 from 12:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. and costs $109.
- Video Game Animation! (Ages 12-14) – Campers create and animate their own character sprites, objects, and backgrounds. Start with a name, develop the character’s personality, signature moves, special powers, and a story line. Finish with a fully animated character to be used in a game. Students do not need any prior experience in game design, animation, or sketching. This program runs August 21-24 from 12:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. and costs $139.
For a full description of each program, click here.
To register for these programs, please fill out the Registration Form at http://sussex.edu/ce/skylands/summer-youth-enrichment-programs/ For more information on the Summer Youth Enrichment Programs, please contact Dawn Smith at (973) 300-2316 or firstname.lastname@example.org.