There are a number of steps to the Alternate Route to Teaching process:
Steps 1, 2, and 3 may be done in any order.
1. Complete the Introduction to Teaching 24-hour Pre-Service Program
2. Pass the Praxis II exam(s) in your subject area
3. Request four (4) official transcripts from each college you attended. Bachelor or higher degree with 2.75 minimum GPA is required.
4. Apply for your Certificate of Eligibility online at http://www.nj.gov/education/educators/license/
5. Take Physiology and Hygiene test at local County Superintendent of School’s office.
You MUST have your Certificate of Eligibility BEFORE you can register for Stage 1.
6. Complete Stage 1 with a minimum grade of B.
7. Obtain a provisional teaching job in a public or private K-12 school. You must be hired as the “teacher of record” in a subject in which you have a Certificate of Eligibility. Provisional teaching job must also meet the minimum hours per week requirement.
8. Complete Stage II with a minimum grade of B. Fulfill all other program requirement.
Additional information about the New Pathways to Teaching in New Jersey program can be found at http://sussex.edu/ce/pathways/