SCCC Hosts Junior Achievement Day

Article Posted -- December 21, 2016

Fifty two high school students from throughout Sussex County recently spent a day at Sussex County Community College where they collaborated, solved problems, and practiced communication skills as part of the Junior Achievement of New Jersey program.

All learners need and deserve 21st century learning opportunities to thrive as tomorrow’s leaders, workers, and citizens. A profound gap exists between the knowledge and skills most students learn in school and the knowledge and skills they need for success in their communities and workplaces. Junior Achievement of New Jersey was proud to partner with Sussex County Community College and Accenture in their effort to close the employability skills gap and prepare New Jersey teens for success in college and career.

Participating students, who attended the program on Dec. 16 at SCCC, learned the importance of the 4 C’s:  Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Creativity, and Communication. These are the skills today’s employers are looking for in their employees.  In addition, they practiced job interview techniques, explored different high-growth career industries, learned about the college admission process and the variety of programs and opportunities available at SCCC.  JA’s Career Success curriculum aligns with state educational standards for 21st Century Life and Careers and the Career Ready Practices, which describe the career-ready skills that all educators in all content areas should seek to develop in their students and have been linked to increase college, career, and life success.

“JA would like to thank our educational partner, Sussex County Community College, and our corporate partner, Accenture, for their support of this program which provides a unique, real-world experience to Sussex County students at no cost to them or their schools,” said Christy Tighe, JA’s Director of College and Career Readiness. “Together, we are changing kids’ lives and preparing them for a successful future.”

“It was wonderful experience to see the Junior Achievement Program on campus as well as students from Sussex County High Schools,” stated Todd Poltersdorf, director of Admissions at SCCC.  “It is a very powerful program that equips students with the knowledge required to get and keep a job in today’s high paced economy.”

The program ran from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center and was broken into different segments. High school students ranged from freshmen to seniors.

“The outpouring of positive feedback we received from the students demonstrates the tremendous impact the program made,” said Tighe.

Among the comments received:

“It was a great experience and taught me a lot.  It taught me how school is important on getting my career on track, but it showed me that the skills of communication and keeping a good reputation with a good work ethic will lead to success.”; “I learned lots of different skills, and tactics that I know will help me in my years to come.”; “Small lessons like this will help me in the future.  It’s a key to success!” and “I learned a lot from the people who work here and dedicated their time to us.”