The Sussex County Community College Cosmetology program prepares students to become the creative, well-trained professionals demanded by today’s beauty industry. This exciting program offers training in all aspects of professional cosmetology, from skin, nails, hair design and sculpting to advanced coloring. Complete barbering skills with up to date cuts, including fades and straight blade shape ups are part of the curriculum. Students will explore salon operations, marketing and retail, hygiene and communication skills in this lecture and “hands-on” training program.
After the first two semesters students can qualify for a New Jersey State Student Permit, which will allow students to start as an entry level stylist. Committed students can qualify to take the New Jersey Board licensing examinations in Cosmetology upon completion of the program. Our cutting edge curriculum and learning community will keep students engaged while building the technical skills and expertise needed to be successful.
1. Perform hair care services for all types of hair including hair analysis, cutting, styling, coloring and lightening, permanent
waving and chemical relaxing.
2. Perform barbering servicers with up to date cuts, including fades and straight blade shape ups.
3. Perform nail services including manicuring and pedicuring.
4. Perform basic skin care services including skin analysis, facials, makeup application and superfluous hair removal.
5. Exhibit knowledge of decontamination control, public hygiene and special sanitation procedures used for the protection of the client
and the operator.
6. Demonstrate customer service skills, self-growth and personal development.
7. Perform salon business such as front desk operations, dispensary inventory and loss prevention, resume building and interviewing
skills, self-marketing and basic knowledge of starting a salon business.
8. Demonstrate critical thinking and communication skills.
9. Possess the necessary skills to pass the New Jersey State licensure written and practical exams required for a professional license
to work in the Cosmetology industry.
Some classes will be held at our new facility at Vernon High School in Vernon, NJ.