The Student Advising and Counseling Center provides a supportive and professional environment promoting the exploration and development of individual strengths that encourage academic success and personal growth. The Center is dedicated to furthering the educational mission of Sussex County Community College by assisting students to be academically successful. Whether you are planning to complete an associate degree or certificate, transfer to complete your bachelor’s degree, or take a few classes, we are here to help!
Take advantage of the knowledge and resources you’ll find at the Student Advising and Counseling Center. We can assist you with academic planning, understanding degree requirements, learning resources, transfer opportunities, career planning, and personal counseling.
Students can access the services of the Student Advising & Counseling Center in several ways:
Individual appointments are appropriate for conversations lasting longer than 15 minutes and are typically appropriate when discussing such things as academic planning, degree requirements, academic performance, personal issues, graduation review and/or career planning.
Students are strongly encouraged to schedule an appointment to assure there is adequate time to meet their needs and address their questions. To reserve an appointment use our online appointment booking system
Walk In/Drop In
Walk-in/drop-ins are appropriate for short conversations usually no longer than 15 minutes to cover such things as quick questions, quick review of academic progress, program/major questions, referral to other offices
Tips for Advising Sessions
1. Be prepared – Avoid the rush!
• Set-up an advising appointment anytime and well before the scheduled dates to register.
• Review the curriculum check sheet for your major, program requirements and prerequisite courses.
• Review your course history on the my.sussex portal
• Create a plan for the courses you want to take.
• Create an advising folder.
2. Be informed
• Review the Academic Calendar so you are aware important dates and deadlines.
• Read the handbook – Student Rights and Responsibilities, Academic Policies, General Policies
3. What to bring
• Curriculum check sheet for your major
• Preliminary course selection
• List of questions
Have a general advising question? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Student Advising and Counseling Center | 973.300.2207 | email@example.com